- Useful links /
Personal information is any information that tells us something about you. This could include information such as name, contact details, date of birth, bank account details or any information about your needs or circumstances which would allow us to identify you.
Some personal information is classified as "special" data under data protection legislation includes information relating to health, racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or political opinions and sexual orientation we do not collect and hold such information.
We will collect your full name and contact details (such as phone number, email address and postal address) from you whenever you engage with us. In addition, if we are providing a service to you, or on your behalf, where we are required to do so by law, we will collect information relating to your identity, which will be at least one form of photographic identification (such as a passport, a driving licence or an identification card) and one form of documentation with proof of your place of residence (such as a recent utility bill).
We will also confirm whether you have any relatives or close connections working at Villages Lettings West Sussex so that we can consider potential conflict of interests and if identified how to manage these, in accordance with our statutory and regulatory obligations.
Depending on the service that we provide to you (or on your behalf) we may also collect additional personal information as detailed below;
If you are selling or letting a property through us:
We will collect a contact telephone number to get in touch with you about organising viewings and updating you on any offers received or rental applications for your property.
Where you are not the legal owner of the property we will request details from you as to your ability to sell or let the property such as a Power of Attorney, Guardianship Order or Grant of Probate.
We will collect your bank account details to arrange onward payment of rent due to you
If you wish to rent a property we are listing:
Villages Lettings West Sussex (VLWS) use a company called Rentshield to vet all tenant applicants aged over eighteen, the information that you provide on the Rentshield Tenant Application form must be complete accurate and true. Referencing will normally include the following areas as appropriate:
- Confirmation of the identity of the applicant
- The applicant’s immigration status
- Current Landlord / Managing Agent reference
- Employer’s reference and previous employer’s reference (if applicable)
- Credit Score
- Bankruptcy CCJ / court decree
- Anti-fraud check
- Report on detrimental credit history
- Undisclosed addresses
If you wish to purchase a property we are marketing for sale we will collect personal information relating to any specific requirements you may have in relation to a property so that we can find a property that is suitable for your needs. We will also collect personal information required to source a property for you and negotiate the purchase of a property.
Where we engage with you to manage a rental property on your behalf we may ask for additional emergency contact information in case we need to get in touch with you in the event there is a matter requiring your urgent attention.
Under data protection legislation we are only permitted to use your personal information if we have a legal basis for doing so. We rely on the following legal bases to use your information:
When we need information to perform the contract we have entered into with you
When we need to comply with a legal obligation
When it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in VLWS’ legitimate interests provided that your interests and fundamental rights are not overridden, including:
Where it is necessary for us to promote our business and this may include sending you marketing information. You have the right to opt out of receiving this information at any time.
Where it is necessary for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access or to comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of any of your rights.
In more limited circumstances we may also rely on the following legal bases:
Where we need to protect your interests (or someone else's interests); and/or where it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes.
We use your personal information for the purposes of fulfilling our obligations to you to let or sell your property or, if you are a buyer or tenant, for the purposes of arranging a contract for sale or a lease for you.
If you are purchasing a property and we are acting as agents for the sale we will share your personal information with your appointed solicitors and the solicitors acting for the seller as is necessary to facilitate the sale or purchase.
If you are renting a property and we are acting as the letting agents we will share your personal data with third party referencing agencies for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, fraud and/or money laundering and checking your suitability to rent that property.
Where we are managing property on your behalf we may need to pass your personal information from time to time on to third party contractors whom we have engaged to carry out maintenance on your properties.
The security of information is very important to us and we have measures in place which are designed to prevent unauthorised access to your personal information including:
Our client files are stored on our secure client management systems. Access is restricted on our client systems to those within the business who are required to have access to your information for legitimate business purposes.
Hard copy documentation is stored in cabinets in locked areas.
We keep your personal information for a period that will depend on the type of service you have requested from us. The retention period may be longer than the period for which we are providing services to you where we have statutory or regulatory obligations to retain personal information for a longer period, or where we may need to retain the information in case of a legal claim. You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information, these include the right to:
- 1. Be informed about how we use your personal information
- 2. Obtain access to your personal information that we hold
- 3. Request that your personal information is corrected if you believe it is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate
- 4. Request that we erase your personal information in the following circumstances:
- 5. If VLWS is continuing to process personal information beyond the period when it is necessary to do so for the purpose for which it was originally collected
- 6. If VLWS is relying on consent as the legal basis for processing and you withdraw consent
- 7. If VLWS is relying on legitimate interests as the legal basis for processing and you object to this processing and there is no prevalent compelling reason which enables us to hold your personal information
- 8. If the personal information has been processed unlawfully, that is in breach of the requirements of the data protection legislation
- 9. If it is necessary to delete the personal information to comply with a legal obligation
- 10. Where you have raised an objection to our use of your personal information
- 11. Request a copy of certain personal information that you have provided to us in a commonly used electronic format.
- 12. Object to our use of your personal information where we are relying on legitimate interests or exercise of a public interest task to make the processing lawful. If you raise an objection we will carry out an assessment to determine whether we have an overriding legitimate ground which entitles us to continue to process your personal information; and
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please contact email@example.com or call us on 01243551000 Please note that we will keep a record of the fact that you have made a request to exercise your rights, and our response to your request, in order to demonstrate compliance with our data protection obligations and so that we can handle any queries, complaints or claims in relation to your request.
Complaints and Contact Details